Ruslana Westerlund

.
.

My Speech is Accentless, But My Skin Color is Not

Where are you from?
What languages do you speak?
Aren’t you from Mexico?
Really, where are you from?

Since you asked, I will answer you.
You might listen, but will you hear me?
You might hear me, but will you understand?
You might nod, like you’re understanding, but will you accept me?
Will you accept me and my olive skin as your equal, as your American kin?
You might “embrace diversity”, but will you respect me?
You might even say, “We are not just tolerant, we are multicultural!”
But will you truly listen to what I have to say?
If you listen, I will answer you.
I will speak on behalf of those who were born and raised on this side of the border, but who get interrogated constantly.
You asked, “Where are you from?”
I am actually from Irvine, California.
No, but where are you really from?
From Irvine, Orange County, California, I thought I had already said that.
“Aren’t you from Mexico?”
I say nothing.  I want to say, “Aren’t you from Ireland?”
I say quietly, “Born and raised right here, Irvine, California.”
Not all of us are FOBs, “fresh-off-the-border”
And before you ask…
Yes, I am here legally.
I dare not repeat “Born and raised, Irvine….”
Instead inside of me I yell, “NOT ALL MEXICANS ARE ILLEGAL, FYI…”
“Who is your ESL teacher?” he continues.
I do not say a word…
My English is flawless.  My speech is accentless, but my skin color is not.
No, I do not dare say, “Not all of us, Latinos are in ESL!”
Instead inside of me I yell, “NOT ALL OF US LATINOS ARE IN ESL!”
You asked, “What languages do you speak?”
I say, “English.  Do you want to know what language my grandpa
spoke? Spanish! When he went to school, they didn’t let him speak Spanish.  That’s why I am not bilingual.”
“Wow! You speak English good!”
I reply,“You mean, I speak English WELL?”

(author retains copyright)